|Store names don't get much better than this. |
(Natural Bridge, VA)
- I've had quite a few reviews run over at the Minneapolis Star Tribune, if you have a chance please take a peek. They include Gail Caldwell's new memoir, The Bohemians by Ben Tarnoff, and Life is a Wheel by Bruce Weber.
- I finished my creative writing fellowship at the American Antiquarian Society and left with loads of new information, great new connections with fascinating people, and a whole pile of words that I will need to wrestle with in the near future. If you are a writer or an artist focusing on a pre-20th century subject you should look at their fellowship program. It's a game changer in the best sense of the word.
- While we're on the subject of AAS and awesome talented people, please visit the website of Mental Slapstick, the brainchild of Stephanie Argy and Alec Boehm. "A Person Known to Me": it's gonna be big, you heard it here first.
- I read twenty books last month in order to curate the best of this summer's fiction just for you. (You're welcome.) Keep an eye out for the Minneapolis Star Tribune's summer books extravaganza, which should publish at the end of May.
- I've updated my portfolio and gee, it looks gorgeous!
- I drove to Florida and back with my family last week on a trip fueled by Twizzlers, Harry Potter, weird voices, and held together with duct tape. My intention is to write a blog post about the trip, but you know what they say about that. Here are a few photos in the meantime.
|The Waffle House, home to quite a cast of characters.|
|Sorry Charlie but we have to take down this sign|
|Cliff's Hot Dogs in Walterboro, SC. Yes, those prices are real.|
|Mark Cline's giant bug (?) in Natural Bridge, VA. You can read about his other masterpiece, Foamhenge, here.|